My Romantic Holiday
10 days in North Portugal
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 1 - Arriving to Portugal, Porto
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 2 - Sightseeing in Porto & Hiring a car in Porto (photos from Porto)
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 3 - Our summer cottage in Covas & Caminha village & Our Portugal photos
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 4 & 5 - Best beaches in the North Portugal & Peneda-Geres National Park
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 6 - Biking to Valenca, crossing to Spain and back
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 7 - Market in Barcelos (biggest market in North Portugal)
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 8 & 9 - Bike trip to Paredes de Coura & Viana do Castelo
- 10 days in North Portugal // DAY 10 - Leaving Portugal & Total costs & Useful info
Languedoc-Roussillon (South France)
WHERE WE WANTED TO GO
In the spring of 2012 we were deciding where we go on summer vacation. We were looking for the sun, sea, but not all day lying on the beach, some sports activities (biking, hiking) and a bit of sightseeing. In a narrower circle was France, Greece, Croatia and southern Italy.
Last year we went to northern Portugal and we liked it very much - the sea, mountains, countryside, cycling, lack of beach ugly infrastructure and few tourists. Local products from traditional markets... exactly how we like it.
OUR DECISION WHERE TO GO
This year (2012) we wanted something similar. Finally, the decision was made: beautiful South France. But not Provence as you may have expected, but Languedoc-Roussillon (Herault departement). This region, situated next to Provence is quite similar. One of the positives is that in is not so overcrowded and accommodation is not as expensive as in Provence.
Languedoc-Roussillon benefits of nice long beaches, historic towns and small charming villages, excellent wine, fish and seafood and also cheese and delicious specialties from the mountains - lamb specialties. In addition mountainous parks and Pyrenees in the south and beautiful ruins of once-important castles. Ideal for walking, hiking and cycling.
We stayed in the northern part of Languedoc, in the park "Parc National des Cevennes" (which is part of a larger park: Parc naturel regional du Haut-Languedoc). We stayed closed to Olargues, one of the most beautiful villages in France (as they say in France :).
It was 45 minutes by car to the coastline, we had walking and hiking trails and cycle-routes on the door step. There were about 5 villages/towns within 15km with restaurants, shops, bakeries, etc. The larger store (supermarket) was about 20 minutes away by car.
The area also has 2 large lakes, where you can swim or hire a dingy for sailing.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN INSPIRATION?
So if you are looking for an inspiration for your holiday in France and you want to combine sport (mountain biking, hiking, sailing, kayaking) with the sea activities and relax and a bit of sightseeing, check attached photos below and see what the northern part of the region Languedoc-Roussillon has to offer.
FILMS AND PHOTOS FROM LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON
WHAT TO DO
The green way is built on the former railway between Mazamet and Bedarieux. It offers 59 Km from Mazamet to Mons la Trivalle of protected ground to go cycling, jogging, hiking, horse-back riding or walking alongside a kitted out donkey... and soon, an additional 20 km to Bedarieux
This is the ideal spot to hike several kilometers, take a short stroll, do a marathon or just get a bit of fresh air while enjoying the scenic views of the haut Languedoc moutains. Discover the surroundings landscapes of vineyards, forests, meadows, rivers and lakes, and the tunnels and bridges designed by Eiffel. Explore the local villages and learn more about their history and the stories linked to the Haut Languedoc Nature park. Find more info and maps here www.ot-caroux.fr/en/bouger/voie-verte.html.
Where to hire a bike:
- Cycle routes in Languedoc-Roussillon: www.cyclinglanguedoc.com/routes/all-routes
- Info about the local area, villages etc.: www.ot-caroux.fr/fr
HIKING AND WALKING IN THE LOCAL AREA
- Gorges d'Heric - www.rando-marche.fr/_38178_32_randonnees-caroux-et-gorges-d-heric
- Gorges de Colombieres - www.rando-marche.fr/_38178_41_randonnees-gorges-de-colombieres
Additional walks in Parc naturel regional du Haut-Languedoc - find the maps here: http://www.ot-caroux.fr/en/brochures/guides-randonnees-caroux.html
BEST BEACHES IN LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON
- Find some great beached in Languedoc-Roussillon here: www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/beaches/index.php
- Swimming in local rivers and reservoirs: www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/beaches/river-lake-swimming.php
- Sailing in Languedoc-Roussillon: www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/activities/sailing-windsurfing.php
KAYAING AND CANOEING IN LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON
LOCAL RECOMMENDED RESTAURANTS
- Fleurs d'Olargues - www.fleurs-de-olargues.com/index_eng.html (gastronomical restaurant, great for romantic evenings, expensive but definitely worth to go there, organic food)
- Le Faittout - www.lefaitout.net (situated in a small village Berlou)
- Au Jardin de Marie in Saint Pons De Thomieres
- Le Marin ( www.lemarin34.com) – situated in Bouziques close to Sete. Great for seafood!
VILLAGES TO VISIT
- Olargues: www.ot-caroux.fr/fr/decouvrir/nos-villages/olargues.html
- Vieussan: www.ot-caroux.fr/fr/decouvrir/nos-villages/vieussan.html
- Roquebrun: www.ot-caroux.fr/fr/decouvrir/nos-villages/roquebrun.html
- We stayed in this great summer house "La Bergerie": www.oneoffplaces.co.uk/Europe/France/Languedoc-Rousillon/La-Bergerie-at-Les-Horts.aspx
- local tourist office: www.ot-caroux.fr + www.ot-caroux.fr/en/brochures/guide-touristique.html
- wine tasting: www.berloup.com + www.cave-roquebrun.fr
- how to get from Montpellier airport to the center of Montpellier: www.herault-transport.fr/horaires_tarifs.php
- recommended hotel in Montpellier: Hotel de la Comedie
- where to rent a car: with Europcar using www.ebookers.com
Jakub and Eva